Monday, November 26, 2012

5 Things You Didn't Know About Chile

When we think about travel, we generally tend to dwell on the major differences between two cultures; things like language, cuisine, climate and religion.  These are (obviously) the things that stick out most in our minds, the things that make a place interesting and (in some cases) the things that can cause culture shock.  These overarching cultural themes are splashed across the pages of every guidebook and webpage related to any given country and (if you do your research) should give you a somewhat decent idea of what you’re walking into, even before you set foot in that far-away land.  However, there are other differences, smaller differences, which (never having visited the country) you probably would never have known.   I thought it would kind of fun to write about some of the little differences between the US and Chile that I have noticed over the past (almost) 10 months here.  They probably won’t blow your mind but I bet you didn’t know….

     1. In Chile, They’re Missing a Hole
No, I'm not speaking anatomically here… I’m actually talking about the paper.  As in, two-hole punches, two-ring binders etc etc.  Perhaps I’m just a little ethnocentric but I do think  the three-hole system makes more sense.  Why should I fold every sheet of paper to find the center when I have a hole punch that does that for me??  Call me lazy but I’m talking about efficiency here people!  Come on Chile, let’s start a revolution.
 
       2. In Chile, KFC Sells Empanadas
Yup, somehow the colonel made it all the way out here to Iquique.  However, in Chile, instead of coleslaw or mashed potatoes with your big bucket o’ fried chicken, you might enjoy the more typical (in Chile of course) empanaditas.  In fact, that’s the only thing I’ve actually eaten at KFC here in Chile.  Truth be told, they’re nothing to write home about (although ironically, I seem to be doing so).

      3. In Chile, When You Smoke, EVERYONE dies
Yep, you heard me right, EVERYONE DIES…enveloped in flames with clouds of smoke encircling them, no less. 

According to Wikipedia (Yes, I’m citing Wikipedia as a source...sincerest apologies to every college professor I’ve ever had), the average Chilean adult smokes almost A THOUSAND cigarettes a year... A THOUSAND.  

According to The Santiago Times (a more credible source I hope), Chile has the highest percentage of teenager smokers in THE WORLD (40% of 13-15 year-olds).  

 According to me, the anti-smoking message put out by the Chilean ministry of health is, frankly, a little cheesy.  You've gotta hand it to them for sending a strong message about smoking though (although it appears that no one is really listening).  The very graphic picture of rotting gums on the actual cigarette box was also a little shocking at first.  Let's face it, there's no way the big tobacco companies in the US would ever allow something that in-your-face (and honest) to be slapped on their product.  Go Chile.


4. In Chile, Nestle Rules Supreme 
Ice cream, candies, cookies, cereal, coffee, water…Nestle straight up dominates the market here in Chile, seemingly with little to no competition.  Growing up in a household that pretty much boycotts Nestle products (except when my Mom snuck in the occasional Butterfinger…shhhh, don’t tell Dad) this was a little weird for me to adjust to.  Add in the fact that Nestle products just really aren’t that great (and they’re kinda expensive, at least here) and I'm not overall too thrilled about this fact (although I am a sucker for a good NESCAFÉ Alegria Mokaccino...sorry Papa Bear).



5. In Chile, The Simpsons Are Bigger Than Jesus
Now I know that Lennon got himself in a whole lot of trouble by saying something along these lines but I'm just looking at the evidence here.  Although Chile is a largely Catholic country, I genuinely think you'd get more of a rise out of people by insulting this nation-wide favorite than you would if you made a crack at the pope.  The Simpsons are on everything here.  We’re talking snack foods, notebook covers, ties, bars (pictured above), restaurants, murals (no, not joking), plush toys and the list goes on and on.  Doh!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment