Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"Meu nome é Alicia, e você?"


Today was my first official day of the IDELT program at Bridge. Maybe on the second day, they'll teach us what the acronym IDELT actually stands for...in the meantime, I'll describe it as a certificate that qualifies me to teach English as a second language (if you haven't picked that up yet, that's why I'm in Chile). Above is a picture of me, Ruby and Gordi (my two roommates, who are also in the program). My third roommate's name is Brett and he just finished the program that we are now starting (stop me if you've heard this before).

Our class is pretty big by Bridge standards, ten students. Everyone seems pretty cool, I think we'll help each other out a lot as the course progresses. It feels weird to be back in school again. I have mixed feelings about it for sure. I definitely have a challenging four weeks ahead of me but I think I'm ready...ish. Hopefully I will gain a lot from this course and feel totally confident in my teaching by the end. Vamos a ver.

As part of today's class, we did a beginning Portuguese lesson. The idea was to put ourselves in the role of a beginning foreign language learner again so we could develop empathy for our future students. After stumbling over "Meu nome é Alicia, e você?" about a hundred times, I think I got the point. I would like to learn Portuguese for real one day, maybe go back to Brazil and live for a while. The thought was kind of lingering with me for the rest of class and afterwards I promptly bought myself a caipirinha to temporarily satiate my Brazil craving. Hopefully I'll go back at some point when I'm in Chile. Tickets from here are only about $300 USD round trip and I DO have a ten year visa...

Anyways, back to Chile and back to homework for now. I have about forty more pages to read before tomorrow and it's already 11:30 PM. I guess my procrastination skills didn´t get rusty during those nine months that I wasn't in school. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment