Monday, January 28, 2013

Lo Que Significa Un Año en Chile


 A year ago today, the 23 hours of travel (back when that was a big deal) from California came to an end and I arrived at my final (or so I thought) destination, Santiago de Chile. I had written this post the day before and was about to write this one, the next day.  No post that day though.  I was too busy getting my first taste of Chilean cuisine at the empanada shop down the street and organizing way too much luggage into my cute little blue room in Las Condes.


I had never been to Chile before and I had 0 experience teaching English.  My Spanish was decent but I had no idea what cachai, weon or CSM meant.  I had never surfed, never been paragliding and never hiked Machu Picchu.  I had never heard of Pucón or Iquique and had no idea that I'd be spending a significant amount of time in either.  I'd never seen warning signs for volcano eruptions or tsunamis nor lived near people who considered the constant threat of one or the other to be a normal part of everyday life. I had never tasted cherimoya, pebre, humitas or a terremoto.  Come to think of it, I had never actually met a Chilean person before (to my knowledge, at least).

Needless to say, 366 (leap year) days later, all of that (and so much more) has changed.  Here are a few more things that one year in Chile means....

1. One year in Chile means one year since I've driven a car.

Yup, if you thought I was a bad driver before...watch out.  I'm coming back in July, crazier than ever.  I may be forced to practice in my high school parking lot with my dad until I brush up on my skills.

2. One year in Chile means one year since I've had real Mexican food or decent tequila.

Best believe the Cazadores will be flowin' when I get back.

3. One year in Chile means one year since I've greeted someone without kissing them on the cheek.

If this is how I respond when we see each other again, please do not be startled. 

4. One year in Chile means one year since I've thrown toilet paper in the toilet instead of in a trash can.

I'll try to remember this one when I come back ;-)

5. One year in Chile means one year since I've had a bowl of soul from The Naked Lounge, a jasmine green tea from Empire or an iced coffee from anywhere besides Starbucks.

No Chile, "café helado" is not the same thing.  An iced coffee does not come with sprinkles, an ice-cream cone and a cherry on top.  This concept seems to be lost in translation.

 

6. One year in Chile means one year since I've gone bike-riding through Bidwell, downed an Irish car-bomb at Duffy's or gone skinny dipping at One Mile (not that I would ever do the latter, of course).

7. One year in Chile means one year since I've sent a piece of snail mail.

Sorry about those post-cards I promised.  I'll try to get that accomplished at some point before I leave .

8. One year in Chile means one year since I've used a stove without lighting a match (or occasionally using a lighter).

Electric stoves are very rare here.

9. One year in Chile means one year since I've used a dryer.

Nothing but clotheslines for me.

10. Sadly (almost as sad as #2), One year in Chile also means one year since I've seen a whole lot of people I love :-(
 

On a happier note, Today I celebrated my anniversary with a day off, a delicious little pie from Suiza Pucón and the silly little lake-side photo shoot pictured above.  I wasn't sure whether it was appropriate to make a resolution or a wish as I blew out the candle so I made something that I don't make very often, a plan.  I got a little nugget of good news this morning via e-mail which was just enough to finalize an idea I've been mulling over for a while.  The details will not be revealed quite yet, but you'll see soon enough. 

Cheers to the first year Chile, here's to the rest of our time together :)

3 comments:

  1. Reading through your post I imagined yourself suffering for all the things you mentioned, like being away from your family, or not being "allowed" to do many things.

    I don't thing it's like that, though. I feel like, when giving it a second thought I came to the conclusion that you have learned so much that you are never gonna be able to see life the same way you saw it before leaving California. You are gonna miss all those little things that you are able to see only in LA countries, like the friendly street dogs, the music on the streets, the crafts, the food, but must certainly, the people you have around.

    Looooove the pictures!! Y me da mucho gusto haber sido una parte pequeña de tu experiencia en mi extrañado país.

    Un abrazo
    Juan Pablo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claro JP. Mi año en Chile ha sido increíble. Nunca usaría la palabra “sufrir” para describirlo, jaja. Solo estoy notando cuanto ha cambiado mi vida en el año en Chile. Claro que hay ciertas cosas que extraño de mi país e igual existen cosas que extrañaré de Chile, cuando regrese. Lo más difícil (como ya sabes porque tú también estay fuera de tu país) es estar lejos de mi familia y mis amigos. Por otro lado, sé que cuando me vaya serán muchas personas que echaré de menos acá en Chile. Eso es lo bueno y lo malo de ser viajero, aunque siempre estas extrañando alguien, siempre estás en tu hogar :)

    Gracias a ti por haber sido una parte de mi experiencia en tu país. Quizás nos vemos en en el mio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete