Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Empanada Diet- El Primero de Febrero


Sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday before I collapsed into a pile of sheer exhaustion and knocked out for the night. One day I hope to establish some kind of regular sleeping pattern here in Chile, one day. Yesterday, we visited La Chascona, one of Pablo Neruda's three houses. It was very cool and has an interesting history but we were told, by our tour guide Gonzalo, that the best of the three houses is in Isla Negra (the only one that was not damaged around the time of the Chilean coup d'etat in the early 70's). A few friends and I are thinking about going there this weekend but we haven't decided between Isla Negra, Valparaíso, Pichilemu and Viña del Mar. We were also considering Mendoza, Argentina but after we found out it would be hotter than Santiago, we thought better of it.


The tour cost us about 3.500 pesos (seven dollars) but I think it was worth it. It definitely sparked my interest in Neruda more and our tour guide was pretty cool. We stopped at a little outdoor market in Bella Vista on the way home and I bought a pair of funky earrings for pretty cheap. My roommate and I got home around 6:30, made dinner and spit a bottle of wine. Chilean wine is so cheap and so good.

Today after class, we had an organized school field trip so we just hung out in the teachers' lounge and ate lunch while we were waiting for it to start. We had some empanadas (much like every other day that I've been in Chile...hints the title of this blog) and talked to some of the people that work at Bridge. Everyone from school is extremely nice and helpful. I'm very happy with the program I chose and I would totally recommend BridgeTEFL to anyone thinking about teaching abroad (and yes Bridge, if you'd like to pay me for that shameless plug, I'd be more than happy to accept cash or check).

Marisol, one of the Bridge Spanish teachers, was our guide to El Cerro de San Cristobal. It is a beautiful hill with gorgeous views of Santiago. We hiked up it and wandered around a lot, stopping at a very nice restaurant for a pisco sour on their deck, which overlooked the city. It was such an amazing view. After we reached the summit, we took a trolley car that rides on tracks down the side of the hill and back to the bottom. It was pretty awesome. Pictures coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment